If the contents are not translated, you can use the automatic translator

Non EU Students - Residence card and Visa


Oficina de Relacions Exteriors
Mòdul 20
Campus Montilivi Mapa
17003 Girona

Raquel Solà
Tel. 972 418 028



New opening hours for public: from Mon to Fri.: from 12 to 14 h.

Non EU Students - Residence card and Visa




If you are a citizen from a non EU or non EEA country, you should obtain a student visa in your home country before arriving in Spain. You can apply for a student visa at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate closest to your place of residence. If necessary, you can find the one closest to you on the website of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


To apply for a visa, among other documents, you need some proof of acceptance in a UdG study programme. You can request a letter of acceptance from:

Important: A tourist visa is not sufficient to study in Spain.



Once in Girona

It's compulsory to go to the Foreign Office (Oficina de Extranjería en Girona) for register and legalize your stay in Spain during the first month after your arrival.

  • For stays of less than six months it is not required to apply for a Foreigner Identity Card (TIE). If, however, you want to perform any administrative procedure (to open a bank account, e.g.), or you want to travel around Spain, you should apply for a NIE Register Rertificate in the Foreign Office.
  • For stays longer than six months, you must personally apply for Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) during the first month after your arrival. You can apply it in the Foreign Office without an appointment.

     For all this procedures you should contact this Foreign Office:



Required documents:

In any case you should bring the following documents with you:

  • Original and photocopy of your passport (visa and personal data page).
  • Original and photocopy of your UdG registration certificate or a document certifying the admission in the UdG.
  • Original and photocopy of the certification of your place of residence. If your accommodation is a student residence or a university flat, you will only need a certificate from the residence or the original contract; otherwise, you will need an official census certificate (certificat d'empadronament) issued by the city or town where you live. In Girona, it is located in Pl. del Vi, n. 1. 


If you apply for the TIE (Foreign Identity Card), you should also bring the following documents:

  • 2 photos (white background and little format. Be sure your face occupies the major part of the photo, is centered and clearly defined).
  • In case you apply for a TIE (more than 6 months visa), you will receive a voucher to pay the fee. Please take 20 euros or be sure you have that amount in your bank account in order to make this payment.


Remember that after 45 days you will have to return to the office in order to pick up your TIE.


The card is valid for one year and is renewable if you continue your studies. It can be renewed at the same place in the two months prior to its expiration date. Further information is available at this link.