Title: Course and Open Seminar on Compositional Data Analysis
Organizer: Research Group on Statistical and Data Analysis of University of Girona (UdG).
Objective: To provide an introduction to the theoretical and practical aspects of statistical analysis of compositional data, as well as an informal discussion forum on more advanced modelling topics.
Contents: Compositional data are vectors which components show the relative importance of some parts of a whole. Typical examples are data presented in percentages, ppm, ppb, or the like. Aitchison introduced the log-ratio approach to analyse CoDa back in the eighties. Since then, progress has been done in understanding the geometry peculiar to their sample space, the D-part simplex. This course will present the current state of the
art in this field of active research and will cover the following topics:
- Hypothesis underlying statistical data analysis (sample space, scale).
- The Aitchison geometry of the simplex.
- Coordinate representation; distributions on the simplex.
- Exploratory analysis (centering, variation array, biplot, balances-dendrogram).
- Linear processes in the simplex; regression.
- Introduction to multivariate analysis: cluster and discriminant.
The above topics will be completed with an introduction to available software and an open discussion session.
Further information: Course and Open Seminar on Compositional Data Analysis web